Recently I bumped into a problem which was super obvious in retrospective, yet took me some time to untangle it. K2 environment was upgraded from 4.6.11 to 4.7 and K2 installation path was changed in the process (drive letter). After upgrade was completed without warnings or errors, we did some more testing and found that one of the forms which was using Oracle Service Instance based SmartObject started to throw an error similar to this one:
Essentially it was very clear from the error message that Oracle Service instance keep looking for related assembly in old installation location (wrong drive letter). We switched to SmartObjects Services Tool only to see that there we are unable to edit or create new service instance of this service type. At this point I looked at old cases mentioning similar error message and surprisingly large amount of them was proposing workarounds and things not quite related with the root cause. We spend some time addressing missing prerequisite for this service type – 64-bit Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) version 22.214.171.124 or higher, which mentioned as such in 4.7 user guide (_) and checking some related settings and so on.
But I next paid attention to the fact that environment had 2 service type for Oracle one of them was working, while another one does not. I next dropped assembly mentioned in error message in old installation location and restarted K2 service – it then fixed first Oracle service instance, but broken another one – it started to say that assembly SourceCode.SmartObjects.Services.Oracle.dll has been already loaded from another location, and this brought my focus back to the real problem – somehow one of the Oracle service types was not updated by K2 Setup Manager to use new installation path. Probably it was somehow “custom” and somehow was skipped by installer because of that. Anyhow my next step was finding where this path is defined. As soon as I confirmed that I cannot see/edit Service Type definition XML from SmartObjects Services Tool I switched to K2 database to check it there.
Necessary word of warning: Backup your K2 database before attempting any direct manipulations in it, and make sure you understand what you are doing before starting doing that 🙂
Service type definitions live in the follow [SmartBroker].[ServiceType] table, so I located “problematic” service type to check on its XML which is stored in ServiceTypeXML column. Here is the sample query to quickly search for service instance definition based on its Display Name:
Than will return you XML column value, on which you can click to view it as a formatted XML, here is an example of how it looks like:
As you can easily service type definition contains assembly path parameter in its XML. So now it is only a question of updating it with correct value. Here is sample script to do that:
That will iron out problem with misbehaving service type. I don’t think that it can be very frequent problem as normally installer updates all the assembly paths definition with new path. But, especially if you have some custom service type, you may want to scan your service types definitions for any vestiges of old installation path. Here is a sample script which will display all Service Instances definitions which contain old drive letter reference (my example uses “D:\%” as a search criteria):
I hope that this blog post may help someone who may bump into similar error in K2 and if not, then maybe you can make use of SQL script samples which use filtering based on values within XML columns.
P.S. Note that all scripts mentioned above are for K2 4.7. In K2 Five (5.x) structure of the [SmartBroker].[ServiceType] table has been changed – it no longer has XML column named [ServiceTypeXML] and assembly path is stored in dedicated text column [AssemblyLocation] instead.